Free use of copyright without
the consent of the author
The Law of Ukraine "On Copyright and Related Rights" provides for cases of free use and reproduction of copyright without the consent of the author.
Yes, without the consent of the author, but with the obligatory indication of his name and source of borrowing, it is allowed:
1) the use of quotations from published works, articles from newspapers and magazines, if it is due to critical, polemical, scientific or informational nature;
2) the use of literary and artistic works as illustrations in publications, broadcasts, sound recordings or videos of an educational nature;
3) reproduction in the press, public performance or announcement of articles published in newspapers or magazines on current economic, political, religious and social issues or publicly announced works of the same nature in cases where it is not expressly prohibited by the author;
4) reproduction for the purpose of coverage of current events by means of photography or cinematography, public announcement or other public announcement of works seen during such events;
5) reproduction in catalogs of works exhibited at exhibitions, auctions, fairs without the use of these catalogs for commercial purposes;
6) publication and reproduction of published works in relief-dot font for the blind and audio works with a special digital format for the blind, visually impaired and people with dyslexia, markings for easy navigation for distribution between such persons, as well as replenishment of library funds and rehabilitation centers for the visually impaired and children with visual impairments, public organizations of the blind, enterprises, institutions, organizations where persons with visual impairments work, in addition to the use of these works for commercial purposes;
7) reproduction of works for judicial and administrative proceedings;
8) public performance of musical works during official, religious ceremonies and funerals;
9) reproduction for informational purposes in newspapers and other periodicals, broadcasting or other public announcement of publicly delivered speeches, appeals, reports;
9-1) the use of works to create on their basis another work in the genre of literary, musical or other parody, potpourri or caricature;
10) adaptation of existing and created audiovisual works for the blind, visually impaired and people with dyslexia through the use of audio description.
This list of free use of works is exhaustive.
In addition, it is allowed without the consent of the author:
1) reproduction of excerpts from published works, audiovisual works as illustrations for learning;
2) reprographic reproduction by educational institutions for classroom classes of published articles and other small-volume works, as well as excerpts from written works with or without illustrations, provided that:
- a) the volume of such reproduction corresponds to the specified purpose;
- b) the reproduction of the work is an isolated case and is not systematic;
A person who lawfully owns a lawfully produced copy of a computer program has the right without the consent of the author:
1) make changes to the computer program, unless otherwise provided by agreement with the author;
2) make one copy of the computer program only for archival purposes or to replace a legally acquired copy in cases where the original computer program is lost, destroyed or becomes unusable;
3) decompile the computer program in the cases provided by the Law "On Copyright and Related Rights";
4) observe, study, investigate the operation of a computer program in order to determine the ideas and principles underlying it, provided that this is done in the process of performing any action of downloading, displaying, operating, transmitting or writing to memory computer program.